Telephone Adviser- Help through Hardship
Various Locations around Liverpool
29 February 2024 at 09:00:00
£25,300 Pro Rata (£12,650 Actual Salary)
17.5 hours per week (plus additional hours to cover for
About the Role
Deliver advice and information via telephone to vulnerable people who require emergency food provision, ensuring advice provided meets the requirements of Citizens Advice quality standards
Ensure all case recording and other record keeping is completed within agreed timescales and conforms to the Office Manual and the Advice Quality Standards
Use sensitive listening and questioning skills in order to allow clients to explain their problem(s) and to identify the next course of action.
Explore reasons for financial hardship and look at ways to maximise the client’s income
Use a range of information sources to find relevant information then interpret and communicate this to clients.
Look for local support and add details to the National Help and Support spreadsheet
Liaise with foodbank staff and volunteers to ensure clients obtain emergency food
Carry out benefits check and conduct grant searches
Refer internally or to other specialist agencies as appropriate.
Research & Campaigning
Support our research and campaigns work by highlighting issues to clients, collecting case studies, data collection and client consent
Use of IT software for statistical recording of information relating to research and campaigns and funding requirements, record keeping and document production. Ensure GDPR compliant training is completed on an annual basis.
Ensure that all work conforms to the service's systems and procedures.
Undertake admin duties as required or requested.
Keep up to date with online systems, available training materials and other resources relevant to the areas of support.
Attend relevant internal and external meetings as agreed with the line manager
Prepare for and attend supervision sessions/team meetings/staff meetings as appropriate
Identify and implement own learning and development needs
Other duties and responsibilities
If required work from a variety of Citizens Advice Liverpool outlets across the city as required over the course of the week between the hours of 9am-5pm.
Promote the aims, policies, and membership requirements of the Citizens Advice service.
Ensure all processes and procedures that relate to the responsibilities of the role are delivered with a high level of awareness of the organisation’s equality and diversity ethos and policies.
Be a positive ambassador for Citizens Advice Liverpool.
Abide by health and safety guidelines and share responsibility for own safety and that of colleagues.
Carry out any other tasks that may be within the scope of the post to ensure the effective delivery and development of the telephone advice service
1. One years’ experience of delivering generalist advice within Citizens Advice or another quality assured environment such as AQS.
2. Good IT knowledge with an ability to support delivery of advice
3. Ability to support and encourage others in using online systems and resources to enable them to self-help.
4. Experience of using interpersonal skills, including sensitive listening and questioning skills to understand the needs of others, especially in the context of telephony.
5. Understanding of barriers individuals have to accessing telephone services.
6. Ability to give and receive feedback objectively and sensitively.
7. Effective oral and written communication skills, with particular emphasis on telephone work.
8. Ability and willingness to work both on own initiative and as part of a team.
9. Willingness to learn and develop skills and be flexible with service delivery.
10. Understanding of the issues affecting society and their implications for clients and service provision.
11. Ability to assist with research and campaigns works by providing information about clients’ circumstances
12. Understanding of and commitment to the aims and principles of the Citizens Advice service and its equal opportunities policies.
How to Apply
Email your completed Application form to firstname.lastname@example.org
Citizens Advice, in partnership with The Trussell Trust, have been running the Help through Hardship Helpline (formerly the Trussell Trust Foodbank helpline) for just over a year. The helpline has been highly successful in reaching those clients most in need. To date Citizens Advice has answered nearly 57,000 calls, helped feed over 70,000 people and recorded £13 million in expected financial gains for clients.
The Helpline is now being extended to local Citizens Advice offices and we're looking for new advisers to join our team in Liverpool who will provide information and advice on the issues clients are facing, and help them access foodbank vouchers.
The successful candidate will provide generalist advice in a wide range of enquiry areas such as benefits, housing and employment. You will provide telephone advice within the working hours of the service and work with the on-site supervisor to support a team of volunteers.
You will have excellent communication skills, be confident, motivated and willing to try new things. We’re not looking for the finished article, if you have the right attitude then we can help to develop your skills.